Tuesday, 11 September 2012

'Global Superstars' William and Kate Set Down in Singapore + View Diana's Orchid at Botanic Gardens

The wait is finally over! The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's eagerly anticipated royal tour of South-East Asia has officially begun.




William and Kate touched down at Singapore's Changi International Airport at 2.30 p.m. SGT and will spend the next nine days touring  Singapore, Malaysia, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu in celebration of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. The destinations were chosen by the Queen for the Cambridges second major overseas tour and the young royals looked incredibly excited.


Simon Vigar 5 Twitter

Principal Private Secretary and Equerry to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton said:

'The aim of this tour is to celebrate The Queen's Diamond Jubilee. The Duke and Duchess will use the tour to pay tribute through what they do and say, and who they meet, to The Queen's lifetime of dedication to the mix of peoples and cultures that make up all of Her Majesty's Realms and the Commonwealth. The Tour will comprise a mixture of formal and informal moment which reflect these aims and the Duke and Duchess's charachters and interests specifically'.

The couple were met by representatives of the Singaporean Government and the British High Commissioner. Kate has never been to any of the places on the tour according to aides so it's very exciting for the Duchess to embrace new countries and cultures.




Senior Parliamentary Secretary for the Ministry of Defence Dr Maliki Osman greeted the couple and his wife chatted with Kate about shopping at Bicester
'Kate asked about my three children and what ages they are. We talked about the UK and particularly about shopping in Bicester. I said I've been there and I love it and she said she does as well. She said it's great how everything is so contained. She also asked me about the flowers I gave her, she said they are very unusual and what are they. I said I'm not sure but I think they're two types of orchids'.

The buzz in Singapore is nothing short of amazing. British High Commissioner Antony Phillipson described William and Kate as 'Global superstars who make the British feel very very good about themselves'.


Rebecca English Twitter

The Queen at Toa Payoh in 2006 with Singaporeans. No doubt Her Majesty will be immensely proud to have William and Kate representing her. 

UK In Singapore Twitter

Kate looked lovely in a kimono style pale pink dress with an orchid pattern and three-quarter sleeves by the wonderful Jenny Packham. The dress was obviously chosen because of the orchid naming ceremony in the couple's honour at the Botanic Gardens. A lovely tribute. According to Grazia Kate commissioned the UK designer to design the Asian influenced dress. Ms Packham showcases her Spring/Summer 2013 Collection at NY Fashion Week today.  Kate wore her half up half down, a very elegant look.


Channel News Asia Singapore Facebook

A closer look at the orchids on the dress.




The Duchess wore her favourite LK Bennett Sledge Pumps in off white. They are currently reduced from £185 to £145.


LK Bennett


 Kate accessorized with her Annoushka Baroque Pearl Earrings. The 18ct yellow gold and pearl earrings are available for £295.


Annoushka

William and Kate's first stop in Singapore was a visit to the beautiful Botanic Gardens.

The Strait Times Twitter

The couple took part in an Orchid naming ceremony during which an orchid was named in their honour. This is an honour bestowed on members of the British Royal family as well as other public figures.


The Strait Times Twitter

Motorcade carrying William and Kate.


Channel News Asia Singapore Facebook

The couple toured the National Orchid Garden.


The Strait Times Facebook

A look at William and Kate's orchid the 'Vanda William Catherine'.


BBC Peter Hunt Twitter

It was a poignant visit for the couple who viewed the 'Diana' orchid in the VIP garden. Diana was due to visit Singapore to view the orchid but due to her untimely and tragic death she was never able to make the journey. 


The Strait Times Facebook

Sky's Paul Harrison wrote


'Fifteen years after his mother's death, it will fall to William to complete the journey his mother was never to make'.

When William saw the 'Diana' orchid he said 'It's beautiful. Beautiful'.

Sky News Reporter Paul Harrison Twitter

The orchid breeding programme of the Singapore Botanic Gardens was initiated by Prof. Eric Holttum in 1928 and outstanding hybrids from this programme established the reputation of the Gardens' orchid programme. As Singapore orchids gained fame, it became obvious they should be used as agents to promote goodwill. From 1957 the Singapore government began to honour VIPs by naming orchids after them. William and Kate's orchid will join Diana's, The Queen's and Nelson Mandela's in the garden.


Wikipedia

A waterfall in the Ginger Gardens.

Wikipedia

Music was played at this gazebo, known as the Bandstand in the Botanic Gardens in the 1930s.

Wikipedia
The Duke and Duchess's signed their names in a guest book before leaving.


The Strait Times Facebook

The royals signatures.


NParks Facebook

What did you think of the couple's first tour engagement and did you like Kate's outfit? We'll have a poll on the best look after the tour.


Rebecca English Twitter

The couple then travelled to Raffles Hotel to check in (crowds formed outside the hotel in the hopes of catching a glimpse of the couple) and change for an official state dinner, hosted by the President of Singapore, at his official residence the Istana.


44 comments:

  1. O-M-G Charlotte - YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

    I got up early (no idea about the time zones)to watch BBC news and whilst they did a brief overview of the tour NO PICTURES, NOTHING!!

    WOW, I love Kate's outfit 11/10!!! Her hair looks superior in this style too. I am SO excited - this has really lifted me and got my engines charged for the day of work ahead....I'll pop back soon.

    Thanks again!

    PPx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Well done I couldn't find any pictures on any of the various media channels. But click on Duchess Kate and here we go. The must go to blog.
      Kate looks fabulous in that dress looking forward to clearer picture.

      Thanks from me too.
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Pauline California USA11 September 2012 08:50

    The wait is finally over. The Duchess looked just beautiful in that dress. William is standing back from her like he is just in AH.

    Thanks for the very first post. Now I can go to bed...lol It is 12:49am in California. I had to wait up to read the very first post from you.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That´s a beautiful look!! perfect for the occasion in every way,I had a similar vision, something pinkish with flowers, I wanted to see her in some Orient-insipired outfit, her hair is not just loosing down = for me a perfect beginning of the tour!
    P.S. I would bet her shoes are those Harper shoes she wore http://hrhduchesskate.blogspot.cz/2012/07/kate-recycles-roskanda-ilinic-reception.html or a brand new pair, as they don´t look beige at all and have other shape then her Sledges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own correction- better photos now, showing the shoes are not suede, so not the Harper shoes.

      Delete
  4. Loved her choice of dress - in particular, loved the sleeves on it.

    Nice hair too. The pulled back simplicity of it really worked with the neckline of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Charlotte, on your excellent posts ! Thank you so much for your quick updates and interesting work.

    The Duchess looks stunning... Gorgeous dress and hair and glowing beauty ! Lovely start to the week...
    With love from Theresa in Paris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I didn't expect to see a post this early. THANK YOU. Amazing pictures!

    I absolutely love this dress. The color/cut/pattern is so feminine and how fitting for the this engagement. And I agree with MariBy about Kate's hair - PERFECT look.

    I'm excited about this tour!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Charlotte for another excellent post! I love Kate's dress and her hair looks very pretty like that. It's very touching to read about Diana's orchid.

    Singapore is only 2 hours behind Melbourne (Aus) time, which is so exciting for me haha :) Normally their engagements are happening in the middle of the night & I don't see the photos until the morning, so this is a lovely change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her dress matched the orchid named after them--what a lovely tribute to their hosts.
    How does she manage to look so beautiful after a long overnight journey?
    William looks great too!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a feeling the Duchess will be making an announcement soon. Her face has that expectent fullness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I truly don't think she's pregnant. Why on earth would they 'plan' to get pregnant before a major tour like this? Everyone know how hard a first trimester can be (nausea, weakness). It would be LUNACY.

      That said, I do believe she'll become pregnant within the next year (they might already be "trying") ;) Silvia

      Delete
  10. Kate looks amazing. I love her dress and the make up is perfect (love the rose blush on her cheek).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlotte, you've made my day!

    What a lovely couple! William always the gentleman and Kate is so pretty and her dress so beautiful. The orchids are splendid. Everything is perfect.

    WOW! I feel speechless now!

    Thank you for your work and love from the South of France!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with this dress!! It' so beautiful! :) And pictures are amazing. Great post Charlotte, like always :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Charlotte. As often happens you are a step ahead of the British press. Now I dont even bother checking the newspaper website, and your blog is the first place I look. I have been so looking forward to this tour with 10 days of Kate & William news and pictures to end the Summer. No doubt after the tour Kate will disappear (making the odd appearance here and there) before a baby announcement (fingers crossed for them both). I wonder if Lupo is missing them, I am sure he will be glad to spend plenty of time with them after their hectic Summer of engagements.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like I'm the only one who did not like the dress. It´s truly appropriate print and I liked the colors. I just think the cut of the dress doesn´t favors her. Do remember that red dress-coat she wore when they left Canada last year. Don´t like it. The hair did not surprise me. Same old. I am not amazed. Wonderful post Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like I'm the only one who did not like the dress. It´s a truly appropriate floral print and I liked the colors. I just think the cut of the dress doen´t favor her. Do remember me that ref dress-coat she wore when they left Canada last year. Didn´t like it. The hair did not surprise me. Same old. I am not amazed. Wonderful post Charlotte. Let´s wait for the next outfit. Seems Kate has opted for a local designer for this evening's events- Singapore native and Hollywood favourite Prabal Gurung will be dressing the Duchess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all your jar work, Charlotte! Great way to wake up int the US!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your hard work, Charlotte! What a great way to wake up in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is just perfect. What a lovely thing to wake up to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post to wake up to! Thank you Charlotte!!

    I'm not particularly loving the dress. I do always appreciate the attention to detail on visits like this, like having the orchids on the dress. I just wish the base color wasn't nude though - maybe a brighter pastel? But of course that's just nitpicky and overall Kate looks pretty great. Can't wait to see how the rest of the trip goes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kate looks amazing and I'm so glad she mixed up the colors of her shoes for a change. Her hair looks really good although I'm still curious as to why she doesn't go to James Price anymore. I can't wait to see more of their journey, it's already bringing back memories of waiting for updates about last years Canada tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same pair of shoes...a color change that's hardly noticeable. frugal.

      Delete
    2. Same nasty comment...another hater on the wrong site. Annoying.

      Delete
  21. Oh my god, Kate looks so wonderful! Amazing! Her outfit, her charisma. More than pretty! I like her dress a lot.

    I have to say that William could be very happy to find this gorgeous woman!

    Thanks for the very informativ post Charlotte!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. When she entered the plane in gb and the moment she left the plan in canada were her true fashion moments for me. The navy blazer with that gorgeous polly push bag and than the erdem dress. For me it can't hardly get any better so no surprise I am not into that dress at all. Colour and cut make her look so much older and the Low frontcut I find somewhat inappropriate for a muslim country. I like the idea and thought behind it but not the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most followed religion in Singapore is Buddhism? Not sure though

      Delete
    2. Actually Christainality seems to be the most popular religion here! However we have a good mix of religions, Singapore being a multi racial country. X Kate looks gorgeous in florals!

      Delete
    3. We are secular and thewe have the celebrations major faiths as most of our public holidays.

      Delete
  23. OMG absolutely in love with her dress!!Love waking up to this!!That was a lovely tribute Kate paid to her MIL and the host country.Thank you Charlotte, you are the BEST!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is beautiful. Gorgeous. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ana B. from Brazil11 September 2012 15:34

    Stunning! She could not choose a better dress in my opinion! Also loved de off White wedges!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shantel (@fashionandfaith)11 September 2012 17:00

    Awesome posts Charlotte! I was so excited to get settled into my office to read what you had to say about the tour so far! You are my go-to source, girlfriend!
    Keep up the good work--and thanks for keeping us all posted!
    Shantel

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just gorgeous. I got chills watching this. HRH looks delightful and royal. So feminine, airy yet so proper. Beautiful dress, she looked breathtaking. Can't get enough of these posts!! Thank you!

    What a beautiful garden. It is heaven on earth, really! I have to say, the HRH is a very lucky woman!!

    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  28. They look so cute together, as if they are on a honeymoon :) Tres adorable!

    IP

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the dress but it think it is a bit too low cut and the waist still seems too high for me. I like her hair and I wish she would wear it up more often. CJ

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love everything but these freaking shoes! I used to love them but agree with the critics - they are so post peak and just look tired. She needs something like the black Prada shoes (satin) in a neutral color. These HAVE to go.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a great site!!!! So quick and well documented. Kate and William look amazing. I wish them the best. They represent The Queen and England well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Charlotte,

    Do you know if Kate is curtseying to someone in that photo (and if so who it is?) I guess she might also just be trying to get to that lady's height in order to receive the flowers, but was curious. Thanks :)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!

      I think Kate was bending down not curtseying, not sure who the lady is.

      Just a few minutes until day two of the royal tour commences :)

      Delete
  33. It is so sad that HRH Princess Diana never saw the beautiful orchid named after her. I am sure HRH Prince William thought of her this day.
    Unfortunately, Kate's dress is washing her out and looks too old for her and her hair is way too matronly.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you Charlotte! This site is the BEST!!! Kate looks beautiful in the orchid dress! Love the style and her choice of hair with the dress--just stunning. She is an amazing, well-rounded person. Look forward to more of the tour : )!
    Colorado, USA

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice post! Do you mind if I share this on my Twitter page?
    Look into my blog post : Go Here

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published. If you wish to share your name and where you're from without using the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.